Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Materials

Materials was a short duration course that gave me a basic exposure to different kind of materials. I learnt about the usage, strengths and limits of different materials. We studied about:

·       Joinery: Joineries are bonds that hold 2 or more things of the same kind or of different kinds together. We were asked to go out and study different joineries in Nature. We were asked to find 40 joineries but after 15 it was difficult to find more and was later told that only 39 existed in nature. The most interesting joinery that I found was that of a leaf and a stem. The way the stem holds the leaf at an angle of 15 degree, this joinery seems to be very fragile but it doesn't let the leaf fall even in windy conditions. Another thing that I learnt was that adhesives like feviquick or m-seal are just temporary. Towards the end I realized the beauty of joinery, the way the most simple bonds come out to be so strong.

·       Straws and Pins: We were asked to experiment with straws and pins and make a bridge that could hold 5 kg of weight. I never thought that a bridge with straw and just pins could hold 5kg's of weight. We made the bridge pillars on the concept of triangles and pyramids and made a mat for the top part by weaving straws. Finally our bridge was ready and it could hold 3 stools but there were a few defaults. The joinery between the pillars and the mat were not too strong, which lead the bridge to almost collapsing.

·       Clay: I had used clay earlier but never learned the techniques of using it. During the course I learnt how to beat clay, mould it, smoothen it and the way a layer is added over another. We were asked to make sculptures and I made an insect.

·       Plaster Of Paris: (POP): We were taught how to mix pop and then use it to make solid moulds for casting and wax molding. I used a bulb to make my mould and then further casting it. I also learnt about the methods of throwing.

 

·       Wood: One of the strongest materials. We were asked to make different joints with small tiles of wood without using any adhesives. Our joints were based more upon the grooves and the spaces we created.

 

I learnt a lot about different materials also, about glass, wood, metal, cloth and clay. The different kinds of ways they can be used and their limitations and strengths. We also learnt a lot of facts about different materials and their existence.


By Karman Nanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment