Sunday, February 3, 2013

JOINERIES IN NATURE :


After photographing different joineries in nature and then sketching them I realized that actually nature has the perfect design for everything and is the foremost inspiration for anyone construct to happen . Learnt that different angles serve different purpose and that things don't exist without any reason.


STRAW BRIDGE: 


A very challenging task was given to us of constructing a bridge using only straws and pins which could carry a weight of 5kgs.

We grinded our minds researched and while working on it reached a design in which the pillar alone could hold about 5 kg.

Understanding the joints ,the weight a material can take,the strength ,the drawbacks and the positive aspects of the materiall have to be kept in mind…realized that you need to build a relationship with the material and love what you are doing ,it'll only love you back.


CASTING :


We were taught the process of metal casting for which we had to make first the negative mould using Plaster of Paris .Then a hollow wax coating was given to the P.O.P. mould to give the positive mould. Then a mixture of sand and P.O.P. is to be closely wrapped around the wax mould .The rest of the process of metal casting I theoretically learnt which familiarized me to a skill done so much with perfection about which I had no clue.


WOODEN JOINERIES:


Carpentry is a tough job, I've realized . Cutting the wood which was so soft with a hacksaw was one hell of a task we wondered how carpenters do it all day .But soon we got the trick right of putting your whole body weight on one arm and cutting with the other. That really made things easier for us. But I really couldn't't really cut the wood to perfection, edges were blunt and a bit inaccurate .I think that comes with practice. But the joineries we worked on were only wooden joineries without using screws or hinges . Tried making many of different kinds.


REFLECTION :


The whole material course made me challenge myself as the tasks given were quiet regressive both mentally and physically . Long hours of work made me realize that that's how life's going to be ,challenging . Also gained a lot about relationships ,the more time you spend with something(or someone) better you understand it ,compromise and also adjust. About the skills I learnt a lot about the processes the techniques and advancement of materials . Worked with a wide range of materials and I think this was just an introductory round  I thought doing hands on job is something I always liked , I always liked working with material but never thought of it the way I do now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment